Pages

Apr 16, 2013

Today, I Ate Like a Queen

I am starting to get the hang of this whole clean eating thing.  I did have a bit of a food mourning moment at the Target checkout tonight.  My ritual for a night like tonight when my husband is out of town would be to grab a delicious treat, a diet coke and a gossip mag...sprawl out in bed and enjoy celeb who wore it bests next to a bubbly drink and something dripping in chocolate!  However, never fear, I whipped up something delightful and to be honest, am enjoying it more than I would have had I been laying here eating something laden with guilt.

Today, I felt like a champ.  I had the most AMAZING clean bacon with some eggs and a fruit salad for breakfast.  I enjoyed a scrumptious turkey burger topped with green olives, avocado and homemade Paleo mayo wrapped up in butter lettuce with a side of chopped carrots and sugar snap pea pods.  And for dinner, a beautifully pan seared Tilapia loin with oven roasted brussel sprouts and a side of fresh pineapple.  Finish the day off with this yummy treat I am noshing on, and I feel down right decadent!  So, enjoy these meals, they sure made my day!

These turkey burgers came from Costco.  I have been kind of obsessed with avocado and green olives on everything lately...and of course who can forget the amazing Paleo Mayo! Nothing special here, just fried up the burger in a pan with a tiny bit of coconut oil, salt and pepper.  In hindsight, this may have been better as a salad, it was so yummy, but kind of a mess to eat!

So, you have seen "banana ice cream" all over the internet I am sure.  That is one of our family favorites.  However, tonight, I was lacking enough frozen banana pieces to make a full serving.  So I experimented and added frozen blueberries and frozen strawberries....AMAZING! This tastes just like frozen yogurt, or berry sorbet...with NO sugar!  I am in love, and feeling really fresh right about now!  This recipe is simple.  I used about 1/2 a frozen banana, 1 C frozen blueberries, and 4 large frozen strawberries.  Threw it all in my Ninja blender and blended it for a good 3 minutes stopping periodically to scrape the sides and move chunks closer to the blades.  Now, the banana is the star player here for texture, not so much for taste.  The frozen banana gives the final product that creamy consistency.  I hope you love this as much as I did tonight!

For dinner tonight, nothing special just a pan seared Tilapia and a fresh pineapple.  I do however have a signature method of preparing sprouts that will blow your mind.  
I first cut the base off of the sprout, then chop it into fourths.  Some of the outer leaf will fall off...this is good!  Fill up a cookie sheet with your fourths and your leaves then toss with olive oil and either salt an pepper, or my personal fave, Johnny's Seasoning Salt.  Place in a preheated oven at 440 and let it cook.  Check every 5-10 mins and turn with a spatula as needed.  I like mine to be nice and brown on each side.  Take them out, and eat right away!  These have a nice nutty, crispy, smokey loveliness that you won't believe is coming from the worlds most hated veggie!  Like I said, this will blow your mind! 

No comments:

Post a Comment