Pages

Mar 10, 2011

Are You Feeling the Burn??


How many times in your life have you heard the phrase, "feel the burn"?  Probably at least 10,000 times right?!?  I have always thought that I was feeling the burn...until today.  I made a life changing, workout changing discovery at the gym today.  I have NEVER been feeling the burn.  I don't know if anyone else can relate, but in the past I have always done as many reps of a workout as it took for it to start to hurt a bit.  Usually between 10 and 15 reps.  Sure, it hurt, and most of the time, if the maneuver was tough, I would break somewhere around 10 reps, rest for second, then finish the remaining 5 reps.  Today, for no good reason, I decided not to break, and to just, "push through the pain"(another commonly used fitness phrase).  Since I didn't take a break, those last 5 reps were so hard, but, something shocking happened...the muscles I was working got HOT.  Seriously, a wave of heat flooded those muscles and it really surprised me.  I FELT THE BUUUURRRRN.  Can you imagine how many calories your body uses up in those few seconds of intense burn.  If we believe that a calorie is the energy needed to raise our temperature and burn off fat, then WOW, I have been missing out.  My trainer used to always push me to finish a set of reps without breaking to rest.  I would try, but I would always stop when it hurt thinking that was the burn everyone always talked about.  I know that sometimes those last few reps seem impossible, especially at the end of a workout, but I challenge you to, "push through the pain," and, "feel the burn," as often as you can! I can't wait to see how much faster I am going to see results!

No comments:

Post a Comment