Pages

Aug 18, 2012

Mashed Loveliness!






In my mission to enjoy vegetables, I came across THIS great blog, I Breath...I'm Hungry.  It is full of all kinds of great recipes.  She came up with a great way to enjoy mashed cauliflower.  Cauliflower is one of the few veggies I actually like...but NOT cooked.  I have tried mashed cauliflower in the past and literally gagged so hard I almost lost the rest of my dinner.  I thought I would give it a try because she seemed to address a lot of the issues I have with the cooked version of this veggie, and I have to say they are amazing!!  I did make a few changes just to make it a bit more calorie conscious.  My son and my husband LOVE this side dish, and I think you will too!

Mashed Cheesy Cauliflower

1/2 Head cauliflower (3 cups once it is all chopped up)
1tbs heavy cream (I use 1/4 c greek yogurt)
1/2 tbs butter ( I skipped the butter)
2 ounces sharp cheese (the sharper the better)
salt and pepper to taste (I use Johnn'y Seasoning Salt)

Wash and cut the cauliflower into small pieces. I have found that the more of the stem you remove, the creamier your texture will be.  The stems tend to make it more grainy.

Place the cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl and coat with the cream and butter.  Microwave uncovered for 5 minutes.  Stir to coat and microwave for another 4 minutes.  You want your cauliflower to be tender but not soggy.  If you over steam, your dish will end up soupy.

Place all remaining ingredients into a blender or food processor and whip until smooth.  

If you make it the way I do with greek yogurt and no butter, you are looking at about 101 calories per serving.  This makes about 3 servings. If you take a smaller portion and serve 5 people, you are looking at 61 calores.  

No comments:

Post a Comment