Pages

Sep 17, 2010

Does Muscle Really Weigh More Than Fat???

http://blog.bodybuilding.com/wp-content/blogs/115912/uploads//fat-v-muscle1.jpg




I have always loved it when people say that to me...yeah, I am this weight because muscle weighs more than fat...right??? NO! Remember that old riddle what weighs more, a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers? THEY BOTH WEIGH A TON! Something that is true however is the fact that fat takes up more room in our bodies than muscle. Here is a perfect example. 5 months ago before I got pregnant I weighed 156 pounds. Being pregnant for four months and having a miscarriage caused me to gain 21 pounds. I have since lose 19 of those pounds and am only 2 pounds away from my lowest weight 5 months ago...however....my clothes DO NOT fit the same. I chalked it up to the pregnancy weight shifting in my body and my hips changing until the other day when my husband said something that flipped a light on in my head. I was complaining about my pants not fitting when my husband said,"honey, when you were 156 pounds 5 months ago, you were working out like crazy and jogging every day, you had a lot more muscle." OHHHH YEEEAAAAHHH, I kind of forgot! Of course my clothes don't fit the same.

So take a look at these pictures. The top one is 5 pounds of fat vs 5 pounds of muscle and the bottom one is an image of what a person would look like if they weighed the same amount but one has more muscle.

So what does this all mean? It means that I need to stop fixating on the numbers I see on the scale and start worrying more about the way my body looks and feels. I am going to do more weight training and see where the road leads me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment