Pages

Mar 28, 2010

Bliss is Corn Chowder!

http://www.scientificamerican.com/media/inline/that-burger-youre-eating-is-mostly-corn_1.jpg
We had this recipe while we were visiting my brother and his amazing wife in Las Vegas. I have been wanting to make it since we got back, and finally remembered to buy the ingredients on my last grocery store visit. Both Mitch and I were licking our bowls, and I know you will be too!! 2 cups of corn chowder is only 4 points!! And you can count it towards your veggies!! This recipe is so basic that you can really customize it to your individual palette.

Kara’s Corn Chowder

Approx. 8 cups water w/ bullion
OR chicken or veggie broth
2 small or 1 large potato, cubed
3-5 carrots, sliced
3 stalks celery, sliced
Green or yellow onion, chopped
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
6-8 slices of bacon, chopped
2 cans creamed corn
1 cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste
½ t paprika
½ t chili powder
2 large bay leaves

Bring approximately 8 cups chicken broth to a boil. (I use bullion to make the broth.) Add chopped vegetables and onions (when using green onions, I generally use all the white part and about half of the green).

While vegetables soften, boil eggs and prepare bacon. Once the other vegetables are cooked, add eggs, bacon, creamed corn and milk.

Season to taste.

Enjoy!


TIP ALERT:

I used Turkey bacon instead of regular bacon. The trick with Turkey bacon is to cook it extra crispy and wait until the very end to add it because it gets soft again if it is in the liquid too long.

Also, I wanted a bit more thickness to the soup so I added a roux of 1 cup water and 1/3 cup flour. Mix that in a cup and after the flour is dissolved then add it to the soup, this way you avoid lumps.

I didn't have bay leaves or chili powder, so I opted for using a bit of cumin, and about a table spoon of curry powder, garlic, and parsley. It was a bit more like a creamy chicken stock, but totally amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment