Pages

Apr 13, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

http://img.timeinc.net/recipes/i/recipes/ck/potpie-ck-1599644-x.jpg

I LOVVVVEEEEE chicken pot pie...I always have. My husband makes this KILLER Paula Dean reicpe...that has an entire stick of butter in it...those days are long gone! I enjoyed while it lasted, but thus, I must find a healthier version! I think this recipe is my fave so far. I had to tweak it a bit since the recipe called for very little seasoning and was pretty bland.

I have found in this diet journey that a lot of recipes look like home made food but end up being a lot of processed food put together to look like real food. Now don't get me wrong, I like easy food the same as the next mommy, but I really am trying to cook authentic food that comes from whole foods more often. It may take a bit longer, but I really do enjoy cooking and I really do enjoy the end product!

So, that being said, here is a GREAT recipe for Chicken Pot pie!

1 lb uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast
1 cups water
1/2 cup white cooking wine or chicken broth
2 cubes chicken bouillon cubes, crumbled
2 medium carrots chopped
1 cup frozen peas
2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
3tbsp. flour
5 oz. fat free evaporated milk
1 can of corn, or 1 1/2 cups frozen
6 sheets of Phyllo dough

  • Place chicken, water, wine and bouillon cubes in a medium pan. Bring to a boil, lower heat and cook gently, uncovered for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Set aside one cup of broth and chop chicken into chunks.

  • Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Coat a deep 8-inch (20cm) pie dish with cooking spray.

  • Microwave carrots and peas for 2 minutes. Drain. Heat oil in a medium nonstick pan, add onions and cook until soft. Stir in flour and cook over low heat for 2 minutes.

  • Remove pan from heat and stir in milk and reserved broth. Return to heat and cook, stirring, until mixture boils and thickens. Add carrots, peas, chicken and corn.

  • Pour chicken into prepared dish. Layer sheets of phyllo over pie, trim edges and press down firmly to seal. Lightly coat with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes, lower temperature to 350ºF (180ºC) and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes more.
TIP ALERT:

I ended up kind of tossing a few spices here and there...a bit of curry...a bit of paprika...a bit of celery salt...ect ect. I also added some celery because I didn't have any peas on hand.

1 comment:

  1. mmmm...April- Everything on here looks so good. I would like to be the first to buy and autographed copy of your recipe book! ;) keep up the great work! And thank you for the amazing recipes!

    ReplyDelete